Blu homes are designed and precision-built by factory craftsmen in weather-controlled conditions. Our structural steel frames and building materials are selected to maximize the quality and durability of each home.
- Engineered steel frame – Using our steel framing process we can engineer to suit the heavy snow loads, seismic activity and high velocity winds of different climates and locations.
- Efficient building envelope – We strongly believe that a well-insulated, cost-effective building enclosure is the most important way to get energy efficiency from your home. We use high-performing insulation and high efficiency, low-E, gas-filled windows to help self-regulate the interior home climate.
- Efficient lighting – We use cost-effective CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) lights in our houses which are 4-6 times more efficient than traditional incandescent lights. When appropriate, we also use LED lighting, which offers extended life and low energy consumption in a number of applications.
- ENERGY STAR appliances – We use only ENERGY STAR certified appliances in our homes. Appliances have two price tags: what you pay to take it home and what you pay for the energy and water it uses. ENERGY STAR qualified appliances incorporate advanced technologies that use 10–50% less energy and water than standard models. See the ENERGY STAR website for more info.
- Efficient heating and cooling – High efficiency heating systems – for both space and water heating – are staples in Blu homes. We’ve evaluated the most cost efficient tankless water heaters, radiant heat systems, and high efficiency heat pumps. The heating systems we install in our homes are chosen to save money by using less energy, and to maximize comfort. For cooling, home positioning on the site to maximize healthy air flow, green roofs, window shading, and energy efficient ceiling fans can all help passively cool the home. We also use high efficiency air conditioning systems for optimal comfort in hot climates.
- High quality finishes – Our design team has carefully chosen finishes that are of the highest quality, including sustainably forested hardwood floors, top-of-the-line appliances, low-flow fixtures and climate control systems.