August 23, 2012
Blu Homes Job Opening: Site Engineer
Blu Homes, an innovative technology company focused on the housing market with precision built “green” homes, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Site Engineer based in Vallejo California. Blu’s homes are beautifully designed, customized and ecologically friendly, with a broad product line of homes and small accessory buildings available across the US and North America (www.bluhomes.com).
Blu is experiencing explosive growth. For the right person the environment is electrifying; the challenge exhilarating! This position will report directly to the Director of Projects. The Site engineer will maintain high-level, as well as day to day, oversight of the successful execution of home installations across the US. Will oversee multiple projects, including fulfillment of customer requirements, siting and logistics planning. Will also be responsible for building relationships with trucking and crane companies, and other vendors as needed. This includes sourcing competitive pricing for services. Responsible for creating and nurturing positive relationships with regulatory bodies, state and local permit offices, consultants, and site contractors and subcontractors. Heavy focus will be on developing procedures to reduce the time (and associated costs) for home installations at client sites. In addition, very strong organization, management, and scheduling skills are essential to the position.
The Site Engineer will work closely with our product development, sales and execution groups to assure that our homes are delivered on time, to specification and to a high level of quality.
Skills and Specific Responsibilities:
- Hard-engineering background (i.e. civil / electrical / mechanical);
- Project management of many parallel projects, involving maybe 5 core team members in set disciplines. (Something like NPI management);
- Construction supervision in a residential or light commercial setting;
- Experience in procuring/overseeing trucking equipment and cranes for moving and heavy lifting;
- Ability to describe the definitions & uses of an MRP system, a doc control system, CAD software, and how each one of those would interact with the others;
- Exposure and knowledge of Lean Manufacturing as a concept and some degree of training (Kaizen, Standard Work, Visual controls);
- Ability to manage a staff of diverse backgrounds, experience and skill-sets; (people at the hourly labor level as well as mentor people through to 1st level management);
- Must have some relevant building/construction experience. (Has to have built something) A car, a house, a boat or an airplane, something;
- Highly analytical, organized, and service-oriented approach;
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to manage the meeting of demanding deadlines;
- Willingness to manage projects in a collaborative manner;
- Ability to “wear many hats” and embrace shifting roles, tasks, and projects;
- Timeliness and attention to detail; while supporting and driving multi-project and explosive growth;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to develop good working relationships across all levels with internal and external customers;
- Self-confidence and poise in working with outside groups – Grace under pressure;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross functional environment;
- Ability to quickly identify & drive solutions in complex decision-making situations;
- Ability to work in a startup environment with broad responsibilities, ambiguity, and early stage processes and procedures;
- Independent, strong work ethic – ability to manage many projects proactively, efficiently, effectively and simultaneously;
- Maintaining high degree of employee morale by proper motivation;
- Travel up to 75%;
- Must be Mechanically inclined. Need not be an architect.
- Personable, friendly, and down to earth manner;
- Not afraid to roll up sleaves and get in the “trenches”;
- Deep interest in being part of a high tech green homes startup team and culture;
- Strong desire to lead by example.
Experience and Education:
- Minimum 7-10 years experience as a multi-project manager, leading intense high volume and high growth within a project management role;
- Minimum of 5 years managing individual contributors and 1st level managers across multiple disciplines;
- Previous experience building, managing, motivating and inspiring teams;
- Working knowledge of CAD or 3D CAD is preferable. Must be fully literate in reading project plans and blueprints;
- Experience in the residential building industry a significant plus; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- PMI certification a plus;
- Financial acumen: Prior successful budget and project fiscal responsibility;
- Proven track record of very strong organization, management, and scheduling skills are essential to the position.
Compensation: Full-time competitive salary and stock options; health care and Paid Time Off benefits.
Application Process: Email only please: email@example.com. Please write “Site Engineer” in the subject line of the email and attach your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in working with Blu and why your experience would make you well suited to the position.